Specials Trip Finder Brochures Menu

Mongolia - Culture


  • The Mausoleum of Sukhbaatar
  • Migration transport in Inner Mongolia
  • Erdene Zuu Monastery

SOCIAL CONVENTIONS

Mongolia is a very traditional country and as such, there are certain social conventions that should be abided by to ensure a successful trip. Visitors should never refuse food or drink, and should always accept with the right hand. Religious customs should always be respected and people should never turn their backs on altars or other religious parts of gers. People should never touch another person’s hat or head and should never point at someone using their finger. When taking pictures, permission should be asked.

 

LANGUAGE

The official language is Mongolian and is spoken by 90% of the population, however, in terms of foreign languages, Russian and English are also spoken.

 

RELIGION

The main religion in Mongolia is Buddhism with approximately 90% of the population following it. Mongolia witnessed a Buddhist renaissance after the “Reign of Terror” in the 1930s which saw the persecution of monks and the destruction of monasteries at the hands of the Stalinist purges. The other 10% of the population are Muslim, Shamanists and there are also a few Christians.

 

CULTURE

  • Biyelgee is the Mongolian traditional dance
  • Contortion Folk Acrobats is considered more of an art than acrobatics
  • Khuumii throat singing is considered musical art
  • Morin khuur is the most ancient musical instrument in Mongolia
  • The Ger is the traditional Mongolian dwelling
  • Nomadic lifestyle families follow a seasonal routine moving their herds to new grazing lands based on the time of the year rather than one of aimless wandering
  • Kumis, or fermented mare’s milk is an important drink of the Mongolian people.

 


 

MONGOLIA TRAVEL INFORMATION

At Goway we believe that a well-informed traveller is a safer traveller. With this in mind, we have compiled an easy to navigate travel information section dedicated to Mongolia.

Learn about the history and culture of Mongolia, the must-try food and drink, and what to pack in your suitcase. Read about Mongolia's nature and wildlife, weather and geography, along with 'Country Quickfacts' compiled by our travel experts. Our globetrotting tips, as well as our visa and health information will help ensure you're properly prepared for a safe and enjoyable trip. The only way you could possibly learn more is by embarking on your journey and discovering Mongolia for yourself. Start exploring… book one of our Mongolia tours today!

 

Extend Your Trip

After your Mongolia tour consider taking the time to visit other destinations. Goway offers exciting China vacation packagesIndia tours and Thailand vacation packages plus a comprehensive selection of vacation packages in many other Asian countries.

 


 

Book your Mongolia tour with Goway! 

ASIA by Goway is an exclusive division that specializes in planning and organizing Mongolia tours, vacations and experiences. Choose from one of our independent travel modules, or have our staff customize a trip for you. We want to be your first choice when next you go globetrotting to Mongolia.


Get a Trip Quote Order a Brochure
Trip Finder

What our travelers say

Goway Toolkit


Need help planning your holiday? Our toolkit is a great place to get started.