Specials Trip Finder Brochures Menu

Spain Geography & Maps

  • spain trip
  • Women with a Spanish Flag
  • spain vacation
  • spain tours
  • Visiting Barcelona

Surrounded by both the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea, Spain is located in southwest Europe. It is bordered in the northeast by the Pyrenees Mountain range, occupying 80% of the Iberian Peninsula (the other 20% belongs to Portugal). As well to the peninsula, Spanish territory expands to neighbouring islands including the Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza) in the Mediterranean Sea. In the Atlantic Ocean, there are the Canary Islands, while Ceuta and Melilla in northern Africa are also part of Spain. 

With five big mountain ranges crossing the country, mainland Spain is the second highest but also the most mountainous country in Europe. The highest point on the Spanish peninsula is Mulhacén at 3,479 m (11414.04 ft), while Pico del Teide in the Canary Islands is the highest in the entire country. Located on the island of Tenerife, it stands at 3,718 m (12,198 ft). 

The administrative geography of Spain is divided up into seventeen regions, fifteen of which are found on the mainland. Covering a total area of 505,957 sq. km, and with a total population of 3.234 million people, Madrid is the largest city in Spain and serves as its capital.


Spain Travel Information

At Goway we believe that a well-informed traveller is a safer traveller. With this in mind, we have compiled an easy-to-navigate travel information section dedicated to Spain.

Learn about the history and culture of Spain, the must-try food and drink, and what to pack in your suitcase. Read about Spain's nature and wildlife, weather and geography, along with Country Quickfacts compiled by our travel experts. Our globetrotting tips, as well as our visa and health information, will help ensure you're properly prepared for a safe and enjoyable trip. The only way you could possibly learn more is by embarking on your journey and discovering Spain for yourself. Start exploring… book one of our Spain tours today!

Get a Trip Quote Order a Brochure
Trip Finder

What our travelers say

Goway Toolkit

Need help planning your holiday? Our toolkit is a great place to get started.