Spitsbergen in Depth Cruise
- 14 Days
- 14 Days
- On request
DELUXE | CRUISE: Embark on the voyage of a lifetime through the islands of Spitsbergen experiencing amazing Arctic scenery and wildlife while aboard a ship complete with local naturalist experts. This is an exploration of nature like no other.
Start your Arctic exploration flying to Spitsbergen to join your ship for a fascinating cruise journey through the Arctic region with its wild breathtaking beauty like no other place on earth. Moor at Longyearbyen, the island’s largest settlement. From here, you will have great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop to this seaside settlement. Sail around Spitsbergen to experience the abundant wildlife and to take in the austere beauty of the region. You will see glacier fronts, steep walled fjords as well as walrus, polar bears, Spitsbergen reindeer and much birdlife. Each day of this 13-day cruise will be a new adventure exploring the smaller outlying islands.
Some of the highlights you will experience will be the 14th July Glacier, home to purple sandpipers, common eiders, barnacle geese and Arctic terns. You will have a rare landing at the seldom visited Kvttoya (subject to the ice conditions). You will see reindeer on Ny London, Sundneset and Alkhornet. While on board, you will learn about the history of the whaling industry at landing sites such as Smeerenburg.
During the cruise, you will have an experienced Expedition Leader and daily lecture programmes given by noted naturalists.
After an enthralling in-depth cruise, you will return to Longyearbyen for your departure flight.
- 14 Days
- 14 Days
- On request
Itinerary View Trip Map
Embarkation Day in Longyearbyen
Your Spitsbergen adventure begins when you board your ship in Longyearbyen, the island’s largest settlement. As you embark, you’ll get great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop to this seaside settlement.
Expect a new adventure every day, as you journey around the island of Spitsbergen and explore smaller, outlying islands.
The variety of incredible wildlife and geological formations found here is astounding! Every expedition will be unique, but a few of our favorite landing sites include the 14th of July Glacier, Ny London, Phippsoya, Alkefjellet and Sundneset and if ice conditions allow, we will land on seldom visited Kvttøya.
The names may seem strange to you, but they each have their own unique appeal. For birders, the 14th of July Glacier is home to purple sandpipers, common eiders, barnacle geese and Arctic terns; while Alkefjellet is home to nesting brunich guillemots (thick-billed murres).
If you want to prove that reindeer are real, then you’ll want to have your camera ready for visits to sites like Ny London, Sundneset and Alkhornet.
As for the largest land carnivore in the world – searching for polar bears is a constant activity, with Phippsoya and Isbukta being two of their preferred places for hunting – meaning great potential for you to capture them in action.
A big part of appreciating Spitsbergen comes from understanding the culture, not just how people live today, but how this land was first explored.
Whaling was a key industry here and you will see blubber ovens and other whaling evidence at landing sites such as Smeerenburg.
Colorful tundra meadow displays are complimented by glaciers and the potential exists for spotting beluga whales.
|Meal Plan||Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner|
Disembarkation Day in Longyearbyen
Your adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here we’ll transfer you to the airport for your flight home.
2021: June 30
2022: July 7
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
- All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board throughout your voyage
- All shore landings per the daily program
- Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader
- A daily program of lectures by noted naturalists
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and Special Guests as scheduled
- Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage
- A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings
- An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- A selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
- Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard ship
- Arrival transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation
- On embarkation day transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship
- On disembarkation day group transfer from the ship to airport or local designated drop-off location
- Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person
- Travel insurance
- International and domestic airfare & airfare taxes
- Meals and beverages not mentioned
- Items of a personal nature
- Visa fees if applicable
See the sidebar on the left, for full ship information
Click here for a list of which vessel runs on the many Arctic and Antarctica expedition cruises. Please note that vessel scheduling can change and this list is presented as a guide only. Please contact your nearest travel agent for the most update schedule.
Adventure options available are Camping – Kayaking – Mountaineering - Cross-country Skiing - Reverse Itinerary option.
Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy – and excitement – of expedition travel. There are no guarantees that we can achieve everything we set out to accomplish. A measure of flexibility is something all of us must bring to a voyage. There are nearly 200 recognized sites in the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetlands and the places mentioned above may be changed to others equally as interesting.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Prices are "from" per person based on twin/double share accommodation and for travel in low season. Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply. Limited seat/spaces and all pricing is subject to change and availability. Rates for single or triple travellers are available on request - please inquire.
30 Jun 2021