Great Southern Rail Journey
- 3-4 Days
- 3 Days
- Prices From:
- US$ 1,260
Be among the first travellers to experience the all-new journey aboard the Great Southern connecting Adelaide and Brisbane. Starting in either city, you’ll skirt rugged coastline, stop off at sun-kissed beaches, and visit exhilarating capital cities while enjoying the best on-board service and comfort.
This 3-4 day Australian rail journey takes you across Australia’s southeast aboard the brand-new Great Southern. It features first-class accommodations, shared tours, and is a classy way to see the region.
Your trip to Australia takes you aboard the Great Southern, Great Southern Rail’s newest 4-star star train that connects Adelaide to Brisbane. With on-board dining and all the great attention-to-detail consistent across all Great Southern Rail journeys, this trip aboard the Great Southern ensures that you ride in comfort and style as you pass through the southeastern Australian heartland.
You can begin your journey in either Adelaide or Brisbane. If you start in Adelaide, you’ll spend 3 days aboard the train. From Adelaide, you’ll venture into the Grampians to explore a rugged landscape known for its Indigenous rock art sites. Continue to the capital Canberra, where you’ll tour the city to see the Parliament House as well as the National Portrait Gallery and the Australian War Memorial. Close out the journey with a lunch on Coffs Harbour Beach while enjoying views of the water before reaching Brisbane.
From Brisbane, the train journey becomes a 4-day trip. On your first evening, enjoy dinner along the northern New South Wales coastline. The next day, venture into the Hunter Valley to tour vineyards and wine cellars and sample some of Australia’s best Shiraz. The following day you’ll follow the Great Ocean Road and gaze out upon the Twelve Apostles, massive rock outcrops that jut out of the surf along the Victorian coastline. On your final day, you’ll reach Adelaide and disembark.
- 3-4 Days
- 3 Days
- Prices From:
- US$ 1,260
Itinerary View Trip Map
Board the Great Southern in Adelaide
As the train leaves Adelaide, take your time to settle in and get familiar with your cabin. Enjoy morning tea and then savour a relaxed lunch on board while watching the ever-changing landscape glide by. In the late afternoon, the train will arrive in regional Victoria where you'll have a chance to experience the spectacular wilderness of the Grampians region where you can enjoy a breathtaking walk in the natural surrounds, take in the panoramic views of the Grampians from a lookout, or sample some of the region's best wines at local wineries.
Your first day culminates with an off-train dinner where you'll enjoy local produce and regional wines in a uniquely Grampians setting before returning to the train for the night.
|Meal Plan||Lunch and Dinner|
The new Great Southern train will explore the incredible landscapes and experiences across Australia's diverse south-eastern corner with the option of a three-day northbound itinerary or a four-day southbound itinerary. The two night, three day journey from Adelaide to Brisbane features opportunities to step off ...
The new Great Southern train will explore the incredible landscapes and experiences across Australia's diverse south-eastern corner with the option of a three-day northbound itinerary or a four-day southbound itinerary.
The two night, three day journey from Adelaide to Brisbane features opportunities to step off the train to experience the spectacular Grampians National Park, the nation's capital Canberra, and the stunning northern New South Wales coast.
The three night, four day southbound journey from Brisbane to Adelaide will include an incredible beachside dining experience in northern NSW, an immersive day in the Hunter Valley and Newcastle region and will also provide the opportunity to take in Victoria's iconic Twelve Apostles.
During your time aboard the Great Southern all superb restaurant-quality dining and onboard beverages and off train touring are included.
Photo galleryPhoto 1 of 1
Great Southern, Canberra
Wake up in regional New South Wales and enjoy breakfast onboard before setting off for a full day of exploration in Canberra and surrounds where you'll discover there's more to the nation's capital than just politics. Choose between one of the following options for your Off Train Excursion, with both including lunch.
1. Canberra Icons: Canberra is home to some of the country's most iconic institutions.Enjoy tours through your choice of two of them, including the National War Memorial, Parliament House, National Gallery of Australia or the National Museum of Australia (low intensity).
2. Food and Wine Trail: Travel to the Southern Tablelands and Canberra District wine region, indulging in some of the best wine and produce in the area (low intensity).
Later in the day, you'll be transported back to the train where you can relax and enjoy delicious dinner and drinks in the lounge car before settling down for the night.
|Meal Plan||Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner|
Great Southern, Northern New South Wales Coast and Brisbane
Enjoy breakfast on board before heading off for a relaxing morning at the picturesque coastal town of Coffs Harbour where you can choose from one of the following Off Train Excursions:
1. Boardwalk to Beach: Take in the spectacular views of the coastline and Great Dividing Range as you walk along the Urunga Boardwalk, before travelling up to Forest Sky Pier at the Sealy Lookout (310m above Coffs Harbour), which offers views for miles. Then it's back to the beach where you'll have ample time to relax and enjoy the sand between your toes or even a dip in the ocean (medium intensity).
2. Coffs Explorer: Travel up to the Forest Sky Pier at Sealy Lookout (310m above Coffs Harbour) to take in the stunning views then wander through the Harbourside Markets for a spot of shopping or a stroll along the historic jetty before enjoying time at the beach (low/medium intensity).
3. Beach Bum: Make the most of Coffs Harbour's beautiful beaches with an entire morning spent seaside. Wander along the coast, have a dip in the ocean, play a game of beach cricket or simply relax on the sand (low/medium intensity).
4. Bonville Golf Resort: Enjoy nine holes at one of the world's most beautiful golf courses (medium/high intensity). After your morning by the ocean, enjoy a final lunch on board with your fellow travellers before arriving into Brisbane
|Meal Plan||Breakfast and Lunch|
2019: Dec 6, 13, 20, 27
2020: Jan 3, 10, 17, 24
2019: Dec 9, 16, 23, 30
2020: Jan 6, 13, 20, 27
- 2 or 3 nights' onboard accommodation
- Breakfasts, Lunches and Dinners as described in the itinerary
- Off-Train Excursions as described in the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- International and domestic airfare & airfare taxes
- Visa fees if applicable
- Meals and beverages not mentioned
- Items of a personal nature
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Prices are "from" per person based on twin/double share accommodation and for travel in low season. Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply. Limited seat/spaces and all pricing is subject to change and availability. Rates for single or triple travellers are available on request - please inquire.
24 Jan 2020