Polar Bears At Tundra Buggy Lodge
- 7 Days
- 7 Days
- Prices From:
- US$ 7,786
MODERATE | SMALL GROUP TOURING: On this trip you are fully immersed in a polar bear universe. The Tundra Buggy® Lodge is located right in the heart of it, offering a unique experience where you go to bed and wake up in the morning with polar bears right outside your window. Fear not, they don’t have a key. As a bonus, on a clear night you might have your own lightshow when the Northern Lights swirl above you, creating their own thrilling enchantment.
This 7-day wildlife tour takes you from Winnipeg to the remote town of Churchill to an unusual lodge at Polar Bear Point inside the Churchill Wildlife Management Area. The area, along with nearby Wapusk National Park, protects important tracts of Hudson Bay coastline and the delicate coastal and tundra ecosystem that provides habitat for polar bears, foxes, and birds. This tour offers standard accommodations and a mix of private and shared tours and excursions.
Your journey begins upon arrival in the city of Winnipeg, Manitoba where you make your way to the Lakeview Signature Airport Hotel and check in. If time allows, head to downtown Winnipeg, 25 minutes away, to explore the city core on your own.
Join your small tour group for a brief evening orientation by a Frontiers North Adventures Interpretive Guide, who will let you know what to expect on your subarctic adventure.
Depart from Winnipeg on an early chartered flight to Churchill, Manitoba. Upon arrival, head off on a Churchill and area tour. You’ll have time to explore unique shops and then visit the small but compelling cultural museum: Itsanitaq Museum has a collection of Inuit carvings and artifacts that are among the finest and oldest in the world. Stop off at the gift shop, then overnight in Churchill, enjoying dinner as part of your full-board adventure.
Meet up with your group and travel to meet a dog sledding expert to learn about the history of dog sledding in Northern Canada. Enjoy an exhilarating ride behind a strong team of Siberian Huskies on a custom-made sled (or cart, depending on the weather). Join the mushers for hot chocolate and freshly made bannock after your ride. Dog-lovers are sure to love this expedition!
Move on to the Tundra Buggy launch® site where you board a Tundra Buggy® and make your way into the Churchill Wildlife Management Area, and the Tundra Buggy®Lodge at Polar Bear Point – your home for the next three nights. The Churchill Wildlife Management Area is a controlled zone that buffers Wapusk National Park. Visitor activity within the area is heavily restricted, so count yourself one of the lucky few!
Friendly lodge staff will greet you, provide a brief orientation of the accommodation, and get you settled. Dine at the Tundra Buggy®Lodge and spend time getting to know your fellow guests on this exclusive tour.
After breakfast on Day 4 and 5, head out on the Tundra Buggy®, across the tundra, searching for polar bears, birds, foxes, and other wildlife.
Evenings offer appetizing freshly-cooked meals, enjoying presentations from organizations such as Polar Bears International, and socializing. If the weather is right, you might even see Northern Lights.
On your final full day, return to Churchill and enjoy another expedition aboard the Tundra Buggy® exploring the Churchill Wildlife Management Area before transferring to Churchill airport for the flight back to Winnipeg.
At the end of your stay, check out of your hotel and make your way to the Winnipeg International airport for your flight home.
- 7 Days
- 7 Days
- Prices From:
- US$ 7,786
Itinerary View Trip Map
After arrival at Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport, make your own way to the Lakeview Signature Airport Hotel and check-in. Depending on your time of arrival you might have time to explore downtown Winnipeg, which is 25 minutes away, on your own. In the evening, a Frontiers North Adventures Interpretive Guide, conducts a brief orientation of what to expect once you arrive in Churchill.
Overnight at Lakeview Signature Airport Hotel
Winnipeg to Churchill
This morning you depart from Winnipeg on an early chartered flight to Churchill, Manitoba. Immediately upon arrival, you are off on a ‘Churchilland’ area tour. There is ample time to discover Churchill’s personality by exploring unique shops, family-run restaurants, and a cultural museum that portrays the historical importance of the area. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner included.
Overnight in Churchill.
Churchill to Tundra Buggy®Lodge
Start the day with an enjoyable dogsledding and carting excursion and interpretative programme. Late afternoon you move to the Tundra Buggy launch® site where you board a Tundra Buggy® and make your way into the Churchill Wildlife Management Area. Once you arrive at the Tundra Buggy®Lodge located at Polar Bear Point, the lodge staff greet you with a warm welcome and provide a brief orientation of the accommodations. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner included.
Overnight at the Tundra Buggy®Lodge.
After breakfast each morning, you head out on the Tundra Buggy®, away from the lodge, searching for polar bears and other wildlife. Evenings typically consist of enjoying delicious home cooked meals, watching slide presentations from organizations such as Polar Bears International and socializing. If the weather and conditions are right, you may catch the Northern Lights present a dazzling natural light show. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner included.
Overnight at Tundra Buggy®Lodge.
Churchill to Winnipeg
Your final day in Churchill is spent enjoying another day aboard the Tundra Buggy® exploring the Churchill Wildlife Management Area. After the tour, transfer to Churchill airport for the flight back to Winnipeg and join the transfer to the hotel for check in. Breakfast, lunch, and a light meal on the plane included.
Overnight at the Lakeview Signature Airport Hotel
After you check out of your hotel, make your way to the airport for your flight home, unless you plan to extend your stay in Winnipeg.
October 11, 20, 23, 26
November 1, 4, 7
- Accommodation: 2 nights in Winnipeg, 3 nights at Tundra Buggy Lodge and 1 night in Churchill
- Full board while at Tundra Buggy Lodge and in Churchill
- Scheduled transfers: between Churchill Airport and Tundra Buggy Lodge
- Flights between Winnipeg and Churchill
- Churchill and area tour
- Admission to Parks Canada Visitor Centre
- Admission to the Itsanitaq Museum
- Dog sled or cart program
- Frontiers North Interpretive guide during the entire duration of the trip
- 3 days of touring on the Tundra Buggy® with a maximum of twenty guests on a forty passenger Tundra Buggy®
- Provincial Taxes and Federal GST
- Transportation between Winnipeg and other gateway cities
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- International and domestic airfare & airfare taxes
- Entrance fees to sites not explicitly listed as included
- Meals and beverages not mentioned
- Items of a personal nature
- Visa fees if applicable
- Proof of Travel Insurance is mandatory and is due 120 days prior to departure
- Daily activities might be modified depending on weather conditions.
- Bring an insulated parka (with hood), warm sweaters, nylon outer pants (ski warm-up pants), insulated boots, insulated hats, insulated mitts, scarf, quality socks, light cotton / silk gloves (to protect hands while handling optics), pants, long shirts, long underwear, turtleneck pullovers, wool slacks. Please be prepared for extremely windy conditions by dressing in layers.
- Winter gear rentals (Canada Goose parkas, snow pants and Baffin boots) are available for pre-booking and may be picked up on the evening prior to the northbound flight to Churchill. Please contact us for additional details and pricing.
- To protect the lenses on your photographic equipment from ‘frosting’ keep your camera cold and cover it with a plastic bag before bringing it into a warmer environment. Once the equipment has warmed to room temperature, it is safe to remove the plastic bag. Should frosting occur on your lenses, you must warm the equipment up thoroughly before you try to take it out in the cold again.
HOW TO GET TO THE WINNIPEG AIRPORT HOTEL:
Upon arrival at the airport in Winnipeg, take the complimentary shuttle available from the airport to the Lakeview Signature Airport Hotel, or make the 2-minute walk to the hotel. To make arrangements for the shuttle, please see the terminal’s information desk located in the airport arrival area.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Prices are "from" per person based on twin/double share accommodation and for travel in low season. Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply. Limited seat/spaces and all pricing is subject to change and availability. Rates for single or triple travellers are available on request - please inquire.
7 Nov 2022