There are certain social conventions and norms that should be followed when visiting Laos, they include:
• Shorts or revealing clothing are not widely accepted.
• Shoes must be removed before entering houses or religious sites.
• People should never be touched on the head.
• Handshaking is not very common, instead people in Laos greet each other with their palms together and a slight bowing of the head.
• Religious beliefs should be respected.
• There is a legal requirement to carry an ID always (fines for not having one can be high).
• The government prohibits sexual relationships between foreigners and Laos citizens unless they are married. Fines or even imprisonment can be imposed.
Almost all people who live in the lowland area of Laos follow Theravada Buddhism. Catholicism and Protestantism make up for about 2% of the population while Bahá’i faith, Islam and Mahayana Buddhism have minority followings. There is a very small percentage of the population who do not have any religion.
The official language is Lao, however, there are many tribal languages spoken. French, Vietnamese and some English are also spoken.
Laos Travel Information
At Goway we believe that a well-informed traveller is a safer traveller. With this in mind, we have compiled an easy-to-navigate travel information section dedicated to Laos.
Learn about the history and culture of Laos, the must-try food and drink, and what to pack in your suitcase. Read about Laos's nature and wildlife, weather and geography, along with 'Country Quickfacts' compiled by our travel experts. Our globetrotting tips, as well as our visa and health information, will help ensure you're properly prepared for a safe and enjoyable trip. The only way you could possibly learn more is by embarking on your journey and discovering Laos for yourself. Start exploring… book one of our Laos tours today!
Extend Your Trip
After your Laos tour, consider taking the time to visit other destinations. Goway offers exciting China vacation packages, India tours and Thailand vacation packages plus a comprehensive selection of vacation packages in many other Asian countries.
Book your Laos tour with Goway!
ASIA by Goway is an exclusive division that specializes in planning and organizing Laos tours, vacations and experiences. Choose from a simple city stopover, a stay of distinction, an independent travel module, and much more. We want to be your first choice when next you go globetrotting to Laos.
Get a Trip Quote Order a Brochure