Samoans are a friendly if not very traditional group of people. The family unit is incredibly important and some villages are made up entirely of extended family members. When visiting, guests will be made very welcome, but there are certain practices that should be followed so as not to offend Samoan culture.
• It is impolite to eat while walking through a village.
• Do not stretch legs while sitting and do not point feet at anyone.
• Take shoes off before entering a fale (traditional Samoan house).
• Ask permission from hosts before taking pictures.
• Wear modest clothing when in villages and in public.
• It is considered impolite to refuse food as Samoans would never refuse.
• Respect Sundays - no trading happens, some tourist attractions are open, but guests should be quiet when walking through villages.
• Respect evening prayer curfews - this consists of 10 minutes each evening where Samoans pray.
• Respect chiefs, visitors should never turn their backs on a chief.
If these practices are adhered to, guests are sure to enjoy a true and traditional Samoan cultural experience.
Samoan and English are both official languages, with Samoan being the first language for most of the population.
The coat of arms of Samoa as well as banknotes bear the slogan “Fa’avae i le Atua Samoa” which translates to Samoa is founded on God. It is therefore not surprising that religion plays a major role in Samoan culture. Christianity has a heavy influence with the following churches being well represented: Congregationalist, Methodist, Catholic and Mormon. Islam and Bahá Faith have smaller memberships.
Sunday is considered a day of worship and no work is to be done. Also, daily prayers happen at 6:00pm and last for ten minutes. Care should be taken when walking through villages at this time of day.
Samoa Travel Information
At Goway we believe that a well-informed traveller is a safer traveller. With this in mind, we have compiled an easy to navigate travel information section dedicated to Samoa.
Learn about the history and culture of Samoa, the must-try food and drink, and what to pack in your suitcase. Read about Samoa's nature and wildlife, weather and geography, along with 'Country Quickfacts' compiled by our travel experts. Our globetrotting tips, as well as our visa and health information will help ensure you're properly prepared for a safe and enjoyable trip. The only way you could possibly learn more is by embarking on your journey and discovering Samoa for yourself. Start exploring...book one of our Samoa vacations today!
Extend Your Stay
Consider an additional stopover after or before one of your Samoa tours at one of Goway's other South Pacific destinations. You can choose from our selection of Australian vacations, New Zealand vacation packages, Tahiti vacation packages, one of our Fiji resorts or perhaps take a Cook Island vacation.
Book your Samoa Vacation with Goway!
Goway’s Downunder wizards can offer you many ways to explore and enjoy Samoa. Choose from a simple island stopover and much more. We want to be your first choice when next you go globetrotting to Samoa.
Get a Trip Quote Order a Brochure