UK & Europe Self Drive Info and Tips
At Goway we have many years of experience in designing what we believe are the most interesting self-drive trips. You do your own thing driving but enjoy the security of us pre-booking top class accommodation for you.
Our self-drive itineraries feature quality hotels and resorts or the best accommodation available. On some itineraries, you may stay at a small and unique property. You will probably require accommodation before and after your self-drive vacation. We will be happy to book this for you.
All of our suggestions can be modified. If you require something completely different, please remember that we can still help you pre-plan your own personalized itinerary. All itineraries can be done in reverse.
Let us take the worry out of your self-drive holiday with our European itineraries with vehicle depots across the continent.
EUROPE SELF DRIVE TIPS
- Speeds are often quicker than in US/Canada, so can be daunting. Some roads are also “country” so narrow so need extra care.
- Travel times can be longer than here (especially in UK if using motorways) - Don’t compare how long it will take to drive the same distance here.
- Recommend an overnight, at least 1 night stay before picking up car. They will be too tired to drive and especially in UK/Ireland where on other side of road, it is easy to find yourself on the wrong side of road and tired is not good!
- Having a car lets you experience Europe at your own pace, which is great for people who really want to explore the uncharted areas.
- If you are renting a car pick it up on the morning you depart from your first major city, and drop it off on arrival at the next one. It’s easy to get around most major European cities, but parking your car can be expensive. So hire it for your usage.
- Roundabouts are everywhere
- Credit Cards may not cover car rentals outside of North America
- Convenient and Time saving: No need to wait for transfers or arrive in advance of the train station
- Flexibility: If you decide to stay an extra day or take a detour it’s no problem with a car rental
- Follow the road less travelled: Ability to get to places large buses and tour buses can not go
- Economical: Train passes and transfers are often inflexible and expensive. Great way to get a family around
Get a Trip Quote Order a Brochure