Specials Trip Finder Brochures Menu

Getting Married in Africa

  • Romantic Breakfast and Game Viewing

Visit the continent with some of the most diverse and captivating countries in the world and stay in some of the finest lodges and hotels along the way. Exotic combinations of animals, landscapes, people, history and culture offer a truly unique experience.

Why not honeymoon in the birthplace of the safari, East Africa with its open plains and masses of game. Soar overhead in a hot-air balloon while celebrating your first moments as a married couple. Imagine yourself relaxing in the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean after your beach wedding. If you're the adventurous type trek on Africa's highest peak - Kilimanjaro. Africa has many romantic settings awaiting you for the perfect wedding or honeymoon.

Getting Married In Africa

Africa, with its diverse landscape, spectacular wildlife and wealth of top-class accommodation, offers a range of romantic locations for ceremonies and is also a dream place for a honeymoon. Many couples opt for the excitement of classic safari reserves such as scenic game parks rich in wildlife, or beautiful white beaches along the coast coupled with some of the most romantic lodges and luxury tented camps in the wilderness.



  1. Non-citizens wishing to contract civil marriage in Mauritius after a publication of 24 hours only should apply to the Central Civil Status Office for a certificate attesting that they are not citizens/residents of Mauritius.
  2. Their application should reach the Central Civil Status Office, 7th floor, Emmanuel Anquetil Building, Port Louis at least 15 days prior to the date of the civil marriage along with the following documents:

    1. 2 photocopies of each birth certificate are drawn up in English or French
    2. 2 photocopies of each passport (the first three pages only) and
    3. any other document relating to divorce widow/widower or change of name
  3. On arrival in Mauritius, the parties should call on the Controller, Civil Status with their original documents and passports. After verification of the same, the certificate of non-citizenship and non-resident will be issued to them. The parties may also be required to swear an affidavit before the Chief Registrar Supreme Court in this connection.
  4. The parties then proceed to the Civil Status Office of the locality where they are residing and produce the certificate of non-citizen /non-resident to the civil Status Officer for the publication of their marriage which will then be celebrated on the following day.
  5. The marriage may be celebrated in the office or in any private premises according to the choice of the couple.


Copies of the following documents are required in advance and the couple must travel with the originals of the documents. Documents must be in English or translated into English by a foreign embassy (and placed on official embassy stationery).

Documents: Copies of the first 6 pages of both passports (only the 1st page of the new EEC passport), copies of both birth certificates, copies of divorce decrees if applicable, copy of death certificate of former spouses if applicable, copy of any name change documents, copy of parental consent for parties under 18 years old.

Note: The Seychelles regulations stipulate that the marriage ceremony must be conducted under a permanent roof. At the discretion of the Registrar, weddings may be held outdoors.

South Africa

Documents: Valid ten-year passport, birth certificates. If applicable: decree absolute (if divorced), death and marriage certificate (if widowed), adoption certificate (if adopted) and/or deed pool proof (if name changed). Minimum age: 21. Letter of parental consent.


Documents: Valid ten-year passports, and birth certificates. A statutory declaration must be obtained stating that you are both single and free to marry. This must be stamped and sealed and state the words "solicitor", "notary public" or "Commissioner of Oaths". Handwritten documents are not accepted. If applicable: decree absolute (if divorced), death certificate (if widowed) and/or deed poll proof (if name changed). Minimum age: If you are aged under 21 years you must obtain parental consent in the form of a Statutory Declaration stamped and signed by a solicitor.


Documents: Valid ten-year passports, and birth certificates. If applicable: decree absolute issued at least six months previously (if divorced) or death and marriage certificate (if widowed). Minimum age: 18 years. If the bride is under 18, the approval of her father is needed.

Please note: The information provided above is to be used only as a guide. We advise in all cases that you contact the relevant official government offices of the destination at which you choose to marry, for up-to-date legal requirements, before booking your wedding.

Get a Trip Quote Order a Brochure
Trip Finder

What our travelers say

Goway Toolkit

Need help planning your holiday? Our toolkit is a great place to get started.